BSL-2 samples must be appropriately fixed prior to running samples on Core analyzers. Unfixed samples may be run on the Influx or FACSAria IIu (enclosed in biosafety cabinets), following Core and EH&S review.
Principles of Flow Cytometry discussion is required prior to instrument-specific training
- Three (3) initial training sessions are required prior to independent use of the Cytek Aurora spectral cytometer, 2 prior to independent use of the BD LSR II or BD Accuri C6, and 1 session is required prior to assisted use of the Luminex 200.
- The Accuri C6 and Aurora benchtop analyzers use can be scheduled between normal business hours on Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm. After-hours and weekend use can also be scheduled, pending full training completion.
- The Aria IIu cell sorter and Luminex 200 use can be scheduled between normal business hours on Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm.
- Scheduling for assisted cell sorting on the BD Influx or BD FACSAria IIu cell sorters or Luminex 200 use must be booked at least 72 hours in advance.
- Follow all posted cleaning guidelines that are available in associated instrument SOPs and/or posted by the instrument.
- A charge for the full scheduled usage time on benchtop analyzers will be incurred if reservations are cancelled less than 24 hours in advance of scheduled instrument use. No charges will be applied for cancelled time, regardless of when it was cancelled, if another user schedules that time.
- If you are more than 30 minutes late for use of the benchtop analyzers and have not provided advanced notification, the core reserves the right to cancel your sort and bill you for the reserved time.
- For unassisted use of instrumentation, shifting your time on the day of use is acceptable at no charge, as long as you will not overlap another user’s scheduled time. Please update your scheduled time on iLabs prior to using instrumentation.
- For assisted use of instrumentation, including cell sorting, late arrival will result in billing according to the scheduled time, plus any additional time incurred.
- In the event the instrument you are scheduled to use is non-operational, the core will notify you as soon as possible.
- If your actual run time exceeds your scheduled time and runs into another user’s time, the subsequent user has the right to bump you to begin their run at the scheduled time.
- It is the user’s responsibility to reserve instrument time on iLabs and provide relevant information in the questionnaire, including account number(s) to be charged prior to using Core instrumentation.
- Once the user finishes running samples and appropriately cleans the instrument, run time is logged manually in the User Log to the nearest quarter hour. All instrumentation use time is billed by the quarter hour.
- At the end of the month, the amount of time reserved on iLabs and the amount of time logged for each reservation will be reviewed. The investigator will be billed for whichever amount of time is greater for each use. The total amount of time used each month is then listed by user and sent to the department for billing at the beginning of the next month.
- External portable data storage devices are not allowed in the Core Facility. For networked instruments, please transfer your data to the MSU Spartan Drive.
- The data generated on any instrument will remain on the acquisition computer for a minimum of 1 month. Data older than 1 month may be deleted from the local hard drive.
- Generally, data generated on all Core Facility instruments are backed up by the Core staff. Data files transferred to the Core’s server will be maintained for a minimum of 1 year after the date of creation. Data older than 1 year may be deleted.
Please note that raw data preservation is ultimately the responsibility of the user and is not the responsibility of the Core Facility.
- All users are required to attend the Principles of Flow Cytometry discussion class (offered once per month) prior to instrument-specific training.
- A Project Review Meeting is also required prior to setting up the initial instrument-specific training session
- At least 2 initial training sessions are required prior to independent use of the Cytek Aurora spectral cytometer, BD Accuri C6, and BD LSR II.
- A minimum of one training session is required prior to assisted use of the Luminex 200.
- The Core may modify the number of required training sessions and is dependent upon user proficiency.